A successful, lateral thinking IT Service Manager who consistently delivers standards-based IT service to high levels of customer satisfaction, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
With over 20 years experience in IT in current role has developed and introduced transparent procedures and quality-based processes, which have lead to increased productivity, greater levels of customer satisfaction and a 5.7% year on year increase in service availability.
Experienced in line-management and staff development as well as forecast and control of budgets. Is able to work well and keep focussed under pressure, providing authoritative direction and clarity of leadership.
- Interpersonal Skills: Able to inspire and motivate teams to achieve their objectives. Proven track record of managing multi-disciplined and geographically dispersed project teams, cross business group resources, solution partners and third party vendors.
- Service Delivery: ITIL qualified. Focussed on providing high levels of quality service. Driven to work with the customer, understanding their requirements and developing ongoing support.
- Project Management: A practitioner of Prince2; a clear thinker with an aptitude for maintaining focus on project deliverables; "Big Picture" vision with focus on quality, and macro-detail where required.
- Technology: Vendor agnostic; led by business benefit to customer and quality standards. A Microsoft Certified Professional recognised as an expert in Opensource technologies.
Service Centre Support Manager
Debenhams (April 2005 - To Date)
Debenhams currently has 153 stores across UK and RoI with an aggressive store-opening schedule. International expansion also underway - franchises operating in Middle/Far East, USA and Australasia. Support is divided between Head Office and Store functional requirements, with teams available to support each.
- Ongoing line management of 3 team leaders, who in turn manage 2 teams: 1st line support, responsible for capturing and resolving (where possible) incoming requests from the business and its suppliers; 2nd Line Store Support, responsible for support of store servers, tills, switches, RF equipment and chip 'n' pin devices.
- Management of 3rd party suppliers and engineering force (UK and RoI wide), ensuring they meet all obligations set out in the contract and achieve SLA's. Requesting "Root Cause Analysis" and "Service Improvement Programmes" where failures have occurred.
- Motivating and supporting staff to carry out their responsibilities and achieve their objectives, identifying their strengths and development needs for their future career progression.
- Responsible for setting the strategy of how best to support the IT infrastructure of the business as it evolves and expands. Ongoing need to assess, develop, deploy and reassess support processes and procedures in an ITIL environment.
- Annual review of SLA/KPI's for the division in conjunction with the business. Where changes have been agreed have implemented these and defined reporting processes to demonstrate success/failure.
- Ongoing analysis of incoming incidents for trend analysis, issue resolution and service improvement opportunities. Strategic development of Service Improvement Programmes, overseeing tactical implementation carried out by Team Leaders.
- An active part of the customer escalation process, making appropriate decisions about problem resolution and customer satisfaction.
3 5 Solutions Ltd (December 2003 - April 2005)
3 5 Solutions Ltd was an IT solutions provider offering a broad portfolio of business led IT consultancy, focused on SME organisations.
- Project Manager for development and implementation of multi-platform messaging and communication system. Responsible for developing Project Plan from customer requirements document, gaining authorisation to proceed and agreeing benchmark SLA arrangements for initial 3 months of service.
- Overcame challenges of working with larger organisations, influencing their resourcing decisions to benefit my client. Managed procurement, development, UAT and implementation. Made use of Highlight Reports and Risks/Issues Log for demonstrating progress to client.
- Oversaw development of documentation and phased handover to 3rd party for support.
- Won contract to develop bespoke CRM application, providing access from mobile and fixed platforms. Architected software modules and hardware infrastructure. Project Managed 3rd party business partner to develop software, provide ongoing development strategy, undertake User Acceptance Testing and commission software.
- Developed Business Case to enter the Managed Service market place for a leading GIS provider. Identified market-size, potential revenue opportunity, known competitors and likely market-place entrants. Provided development path and likely timescales for product launch. Worked with clients' sales and strategy personnel to identify potential alpha trialists.
Major Programmes Manager
BT (May 2001 - December 2003)
BT is the third largest company in the UK and the largest in the telecommunications sector. Stepchange worked alongside people in the public sector to help shape and implement policy, inform new thinking, share good practice, manage change and deliver practical solutions in an increasingly complex world.
- Project Manager for sub-project of BT's "Freedom of Information" service. Accountable to the Programme Director; responsible for development and delivery of technology solution to the FoI legislation. Working closely with overseas 3rd party supplier utilised Prince2 to manage the development, piloting end user acceptance testing of the software. Required effective communication and development of unambiguous Work Packages, with clear quality and tolerance levels attached. On a daily basis worked with Project Office to ensure effective communication of risk, issues and success to project sponsors.
- In partnership with ODPM (Office of Deputy Prime Minister) and 3rd party software house was Programme Manager for the customisation, development, infrastructure implementation and launch of BT's Environmental Management Services product suite. I was appointed PM as a result of my initial work in architecting the software application and the departure of the previous project manager to effectively manage risk and project finances. My role was to revisit the business case, evaluate current progress of the project, re-evaluate risks, issues and likelihood of success. I presented my findings to the Project Board, who gave approval for continuing the project, although tighter budgetary controls were introduced, a project office was appointed and greater adherence to Project Management controls were stipulated.
- Through to the completion of the project I managed the work packages, quality reviews, timescales and budget of both internal and 3rd party suppliers, making risk assessments and escalating exceptions to agreed tolerance levels with the project office as soon as evident.
- In conjunction with OGC (Office of Government Commerce) created and designed the specification of BT's Government Hosting Services products. Working with BT Wholesale architected the infrastructure requirements, identified suitable data-centres, which would meet Government security requirements, suitable connectivity, throughput, bandwidth and up-time assurances. Having identified specific hardware platform and applicable operating systems arranged testing slots so stability, volume and response times would meet OGC requirements. Worked with BT marketing and sales departments to develop "sales pitch" (including sales collateral, telephone speeches, targeted individual prospects), support arrangements and launch dates. After initial launch and establishing early client base handed over ongoing sales and support to BT Wholesale and BT Government.
Senior IT Technical Consultant
Winterthur Life (April 1999 - May 2001)
Winterthur Life is a wholly owned subsidiary of Credit Suisse with offices worldwide. Winterthur is the UK market-leader in SIPPS Pensions and one of the 10 largest financial services companies in Europe.
- Project managed the development, launch and integration of HouseAbout.com (£500k) within budget and on time. The Times recognised HouseAbout.com as "best in field"
- Managed full project life-cycle to make Winterthur Life the first UK financial institution to provide desk and room based Video Conferencing over an IP network.
- Conceived concept of providing real-time data to field sales staff. Presented business case, project managed the development and business integration of services such as WAP based access to corporate e-mail/calendar for sales force.
Walsh International (January 1997 - April 1999)
Walsh International is the industry leader in developing Territory Management software solutions for the pharmaceutical industry. Key customers include GlaxoWellcome and SmithKline Beecham.
- Successful management of Microsoft Exchange rollout to Europe and North/South America and Asia. 17 Microsoft Exchange Administrators appointed and trained.
- Setup of South American Office infrastructure (11 sites, average 30 users per site) ‚Ä¢ Seconded to SmithKline Beecham, Spain to manage roll out of Walsh's software: Premiere
Contract Positions (1986 - 1997)
- AIG Computer Services Ltd
- Securicor Alarms
- Glaxo Wellcome
- Reed Consultancy
- Friends Provident
- Kameleon Consultancy
- American Express
- Sun Alliance
- Springer Spaniel(s)
- Rugby Union
- Formula 1
- Useful technology